Gender Equality 2017 - A WBL Report
A Report by WBL (Women-Business-Law) website
The Worldbank's Women-Business-Law website has released a country-wide report presenting their findings of the progress of Gender Equality across the world. An overall score of equality is computed for each country depending on the laws and the way the society treats women. The chart above presents the average score for the countries in each region.
The lowest scoring countries are in the Middle-East region (big surprise!), while the OECD countries fare the best.
Middle East Region
Here is a look at the bottom 5 countries in the Middle-East region.
The best countries for women in the middle-east region are these.
The top and bottom 5 countries of the South Asian region.
Let us now look at the countries in the region of Sub-Saharan Africa.
East-Asian and Pacific Countries
Latin America and Caribbean Countries
Europe and Central Asian Countries
High Income OECD Countries
How is the score computed?
The score is computed for each country by assigning points for each category shown below. For each Yes answer, a 1 is assigned and a No answer receives a 0.
- GOING PLACES
- Can a woman apply for a passport in the same way as a man?
- Can a woman legally travel outside the country in the same way as a man?
- Can a woman legally travel outside her home in the same way as a man?
- Can a woman legally choose where to live in the same way as a man?
- STARTING A JOB
- Can a woman get a job or pursue a trade or profession in the same way as a man?
- Does the law mandate nondiscrimination based on gender in employment?
- Is there legislation on sexual harassment in employment?
- Are there criminal penalties or civil remedies for sexual harassment in employment?
- GETTING PAID
- Does the law mandate equal remuneration for work of equal value?
- Can women work the same night hours as men?
- Can women work in jobs deemed hazardous, arduous or morally inappropriate in the same way as men?
- Are women able to work in the same industries as men?
- GETTING MARRIED
- Is a married woman not legally required to obey her husband?
- Can a woman be head of household or head of family in the same way as a man?
- Is there domestic violence legislation?
- Can a woman obtain a judgment of divorce in the same way as a man?
- Do women have the same rights to remarry as men?
- HAVING CHILDREN
- Is there paid leave of at least 14 weeks available to women?
- Does the government pay 100% of maternity leave benefits, or parental leave benefits (where maternity leave is unavailable)?
- Is there paid paternity leave?
- Is there paid parental leave?
- Is dismissal of pregnant workers prohibited?
- RUNNING A BUSINESS
- Can a woman legally sign a contract in the same way as a man?
- Can a woman legally register a business in the same way as a man?
- Can a woman legally open a bank account in the same way as a man?
- Does the law prohibit discrimination by creditors on the basis of sex or gender?
- MANAGING ASSETS
- Do men and married women have equal ownership rights to property?
- Do sons and daughters have equal rights to inherit assets from their parents?
- Do female and male surviving spouses have equal rights to inherit assets?
- Does the law grant spouses equal administrative authority over assets during marriage?
- Does the law provide for the valuation of nonmonetary contributions?
- GETTING A PENSION
- Are the ages at which men and women can retire with full pension benefits equal?
- Are the ages at which men and women can retire with partial pension benefits equal?
- Is the mandatory retirement age for men and women equal?
- Does the law establish explicit pension care credits for periods of childcare?